|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is a traditional Lexington, North Carolina coleslaw recipe. It combines cabbage, cider vinegar, and ketchup to make a flavorful slaw that goes perfectly with pork or chicken. Pile it up as a side dish or put it on the top of your barbecue sandwich.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds (1.1 to 1.3 g) white cabbage
- 1 cup (240 mL) cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) ketchup
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) water
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) chili powder
- Dash of hot pepper sauce like Tabasco
Chop cabbage. In a small saucepan dissolve the sugar in the cider vinegar over a medium heat. Add other ingredients except for the cabbage and mix well while simmering for about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat before the mixture gets thick. Allow to cool for about 10 or more minutes then pour over cabbage.
Toss until well mixed. Serve immediately.