This banana cake is light and fluffy, making it a perfect cake for parties. I like to add walnuts and chocolate chips to this banana cake recipe, but you can leave them out if you prefer. Be sure to sift the flour in this banana cake recipe. That's what makes this banana cake recipe light. But it's the chocolate ganache frosting that makes it special. If you don't have time to refrigerated the frosting overnight, a few hours, or just until is is thickened and cooled completely, will be just fine, though the frosting will not get quite so fluffy when you beat it with the electric mixer.
- For the Ganache Frosting:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces chopped semisweet (or bittersweet chocolate)
- For the Banana Cake:
- 3/4 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pureed very ripe bananas (approximately 3 small bananas)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Make the ganache: Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Add the chopped chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted. Allow ganache to cool completely. Chill in the fridge until it is cold, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Make the banana cake: In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Do not skip this step! The sifting is what ensures your banana cake will be light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing until just blended.
- Add the pureed bananas and buttermilk to the batter. Mix just until blended. Fold walnuts and chocolate chips, if using, into the banana cake batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 25-35 minutes until a knife inserted 2 inches from the edge of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, beat the ganache with an electric mixer until fluffy enough to spread over banana cake.
- Frost cooled banana cake with chocolate ganache frosting or cream cheese frosting.
(Laura please add some more links to banana bread recipe, and other cake recipes, or other things to do with ripe bananas)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|