These game hens are glazed with a flavorful mixture of orange, honey, and garlic. The skin is removed, making it lower in fat.
- 2 Cornish game hens, (about 1 1/2 lbs each)
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange peel (grated)
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate (thawed, undiluted)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tsp. oil or non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Optional: fresh orange wedges
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon water (cold)
- Place game hens breast-side down on a cutting board and cut in half along backbone. Remove skin and trim excess fat.
- In a small microwave-safe dish, combine orange peel, lemon juice, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, honey, garlic, onion powder, and thyme. Bring to boiling point in a microwave oven; set aside.
- Lightly grease a baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- Divide chopped onion into 4 portions in baking dish; place hens bone side down on onions.
- Pour orange juice mixture over hens.
- Bake hens at 350° for 45 minutes, basting every 10 to 15 minutes with cooking juices. If they brown too quickly, cover them loosely with aluminum foil.
- When hens are done, remove from baking dish, onions and all, to warm dinner plates.
- If desired, garnish with orange slices. Skim fat off juices in baking dish. If desired, thicken pan juices with a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon of cold water. Serve juices on the side. Serve with hot cooked rice and green vegetable.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|