Lemon lovers rejoice! This limoncello cake offers a decadent flavor and texture that's hard to beat. Incorporate lemon and limoncello liquor into the cake batter, and then indulge in the mascarpone cheese icing that blends lemon curd and mascarpone cheese with whipped cream.
Never heard of limoncello? It could be your next baking ingredient obsession. Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur that is produced mostly in Southern Italy. (It is commonly referred to as limoncino in northern areas of the country.) It is one of the most popular types of liquor in Italy, though the liqueur has gained popularity across the globe in more recent years. While limoncello is often served in cocktails, this limoncello cake allows you to enjoy it for dessert, too.
- For the Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup limoncello (lemon-flavored liqueur)Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Optional: white chocolate shavings
- For the Mascarpone Frosting:
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 cups lemon curd
- 2 cups chilled whipping or heavy cream
- 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans and then line them with parchment paper. Grease and flour the parchment paper as well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add flour alternately with buttermilk and limoncello mixed with lemon juice.
- Bake cakes for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely in pans.
- Once cool, remove the limoncello cakes from the pans. Place one layer on serving plate.
- Frost top with 1/3 frosting.
- Place the second layer on top.
- Frost with one-half of the frosting.
- Use remaining frosting to frost sides of cake.
- Decorate top with optional white chocolate shavings.
- Cream together mascarpone cheese and lemon curd.
- Next, either add whipped cream (or add whipped cream you have made yourself).
- Slowly add powdered sugar until all ingredients are added.
- Fold the cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|