The liquid lust recipe is a tequila and wine punch with a lot of passion. It's a modern interpretation of sangria that is lighter than more traditional red wine recipes. Perfect for a small party, the punch is refreshing and easy to pull together.
Beyond the tequila and white wine, hibiscus syrup is the star of this fun recipe. It's easy to make at home using a single hibiscus tea bag and should be cooled down and ready to go within the hour. Not only does it add a sweet floral flavor to the punch, but it also backs up the cranberry juice to impart a lovely blush color.
- For the Hibiscus Syrup:
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar (white granulated)
- 1 tea bag hibiscus tea
- For the Punch:
- 1 1/2 cups tequila
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 3/4 cup hibiscus syrup
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 2 ounces cranberry juice
- 1/2 liter club soda
- Garnish: 2 oranges (sliced)
- Garnish: 1 lemon (sliced)
- Garnish: 1 lime (sliced)
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this cocktail is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and assembly.
Make the Hibiscus Syrup
Gather the ingredients.
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the sugar and stir until it's completely dissolved.
Remove from the heat, add the tea bag, and steep for 10 minutes.
Discard the tea bag and let the syrup continue to cool. Bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Make the Liquid Lust Punch
In a pitcher or punchbowl, combine the tequila, wine, hibiscus syrup, and orange and cranberry juices.
Add ice and fill with club soda.
Garnish with fresh fruit.
Serve and enjoy!
- The recipe makes about 12 4-ounce servings and should fit into a 60-ounce pitcher with the ice and fruit. Increase it as needed to fit your party needs.
- For the tequila and wine, make it really easy by pouring half of a 750 mL bottle of each. Use a full bottle when doubling the recipe.
- You can also find hibiscus syrup from companies like Monin and Torani. It's not the most popular flavor and may not be stocked in your local store, so you may have to buy it online.
- Instead of club soda, top this punch off with half a bottle of sparkling wine.
- An alternative to the hibiscus syrup is to pour a hibiscus-infused tequila, as found in the Rosangel margarita. You can keep the syrup for double the floral flavor, switch to plain simple syrup, or use 1/2 cup of white sugar (be sure to stir until it dissolves completely).
How Strong Is a Liquid Lust?
Just because there's tequila, doesn't mean this is a strong punch. It's actually quite mild, mixing up to 9 percent ABV (18 proof) or so, making it more like a light wine.