Tsung-Yun (Liv) Wan wrote for The Spruce, contributing recipes and articles for 11 years. She is a freelance writer, illustrator, and cookbook author.
- Diploma from the top culinary college in Taiwan and a degree in illustration
- Worked as a chef in Taiwan and Scotland
- Published three cookbooks, including one written and illustrated by Liv
- Runs a successful illustration and design business
Liv Wan grew up in Taipei, Taiwan. When she was young, she often sat in the kitchen learning Chinese cooking from her grandparents. Her grandfather was from the Sichuan province of China and her grandmother from Guangdong province. Both provinces have completely different cuisines. After her culinary training, she worked as a chef in Taiwan, at one of the top restaurants in Edinburgh for a few years, and other fine dining establishments.
She began writing about food when she moved to the U.K. from Taiwan. It was difficult to find authentic Chinese and Taiwanese food, so she spent countless hours in her kitchen recreating her favorite authentic Chinese and Taiwanese dishes and revisiting her favorite food memories from back home. She mainly focuses on “home-style” Chinese and Taiwanese cooking, but sometimes she includes foods with a fine-dining touch.
Liv Wan graduated from National Kaohsiung Hospitality College (now National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism) with a diploma in Western culinary art. She also completed an HND illustration course at Edinburgh College and received a bachelor's degree in illustration at Edinburgh College of Art. She is a native traditional Chinese speaker and can also read and write simplified Chinese.
Awards and Publications
- Home-Style Taiwanese Cooking (Marshall Cavendish International, 2014)
- The Illustrative Chef: 30 Illustrated Recipes (CreateSpace, 2015)
- Home-Style Chinese Cooking (Marshall Cavendish International, 2017)
About The Spruce Eats
The Spruce Eats, a Dotdash brand, is a food and drink website offering more than 15,000 tested recipes, 1,200 how-to videos, informative articles, trustworthy product recommendations, and the inspiration to help you make your best meal. Learn more about us and our editorial process.