This well-seasoned baked potato salad is hearty and flavorful with baked potatoes, along with diced cooked bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and seasonings. The baked potatoes add that extra-special flavor to the salad and the combination of ingredients with the simple seasoned sour cream dressing will remind you of your favorite baked stuffed potatoes or loaded baked potato soup.
Garnish the potato salad with extra green onions and shredded cheese.
This is a tasty and interesting salad to serve at a cookout, potluck supper, or tailgating event. If you're looking for an extra-special potato salad that's loaded with texture and flavor, this is a great choice.
- 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, russets (about 4 or 5 large)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 10 to 12 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream (light or regular)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Salt to taste
- Optional for garnish: fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Scrub the potatoes and prick in several places with a fork or skewer. Rub the potatoes with olive oil or vegetable oil. Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour, or until they are easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and cool. Place the potatoes in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced bacon and cook, stirring, until thoroughly cooked and crisp. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Peel the chilled potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch slices. Put the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with the well-drained bacon, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and 1/4 cup of sliced green onions.
- In a small bowl combine the celery seeds, freshly ground black pepper, mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk. Mix well. Taste and season with salt, as needed.
- Stir the mayonnaise mixture into the potatoes and mix gently to combine.
- Spoon the potato salad into a large serving bowl.
- Garnish the salad with more green onions and shredded cheese along with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||43 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|