This flavorful baked potato soup is loaded with cheese and baked potatoes, along with bacon, sour cream, green onions, and seasonings. It's a satisfying soup to serve for lunch or dinner with a tossed salad or sandwiches.
Top this thick and tasty loaded baked potato soup with some extra cooked crumbled bacon and green onions just before serving. It makes a fabulous soup supper with crusty rolls or bread and a simple tossed green salad.
The best potatoes to use for this soup are starchy potatoes. Russets are best, but Yukon gold have a medium starch content and may be used as well.
See the tips and variations for some other ingredients you might add to this versatile potato soup.
- 8-10 slices bacon (diced, about 8 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups
- chicken broth
- 2 cups
- 4 large
- baking potatoes (
- baked, peeled, and diced)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional: sliced green onion for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain and pour the bacon drippings into a cup.
- Put 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings back into the pot along with the butter, chopped onion, and celery. Cook, stirring until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the sliced green onion and flour until blended. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth; cover and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thickened and vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in half-and-half, diced potatoes, salt, pepper, and cheese. Continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- Blend about half of the soup in batches until smooth.
- Add the blended soup back to the pot and add sour cream.
- Cook, stirring constantly until soup is hot.
- Serve the soup garnished with bacon and extra sliced green onion if desired.
Tips and Variations
- Shred a medium carrot and saute it in the bacon drippings along with the onion and celery.
- Add a diced green or red bell pepper to the soup along with the onion.
- Additional Garnish Ideas: Finely shredded cheese, a swirl of sour cream or guacamole, pureed roasted red bell pepper, and fresh chopped parsley.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|