Delicious nachos are perfect for a big game day gathering. Arrange and bake the nachos on an ovenproof platter or shallow baking dish, or use several smaller baking dishes or ovenproof plates. To please several different tastes, consider including such garnishes as chopped cilantro, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole on the side.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Optional: 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 large bag tortilla chips
- 2 plum tomatoes (diced)
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- Jalapeno pepper rings (or diced jalapeno peppers)
- 3 to 4 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Brown the ground beef and onions in a skillet or sauté pan over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onions are softened.
- Add green bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, refried beans, and tomato sauce. Simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Spread some of the beef and bean mixture on each chip and arrange the chips in a single layer on the large baking dish or ovenproof plate, or use smaller ovenproof plates or dishes.
- Sprinkle the layer with a little of the diced tomato, sliced green onions, and jalapeno peppers. Sprinkle each chip with some of the cheese and make another layer of chips.
- Repeat with the tomato, green onions, peppers, and top with more cheese.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until the cheese, is melted and bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|