|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: One 11x7-inch dish (serves 12)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||18%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Disclaimer: This is not a traditional Italian dish, by any means; in fact, in Italy it is rare (if not sacrilegious! See my Italian Food Rule #6) to mix cheese and seafood, but it's a perfect example of blending tradition with innovation: developed especially for an American palate, as we are big fans of lobster and have no qualms about mixing cheese with shellfish, yet using Italian ingredients and techniques, it's really the best of both worlds.
Though sumptuous and impressive, it takes only about 30 minutes to make–again, the best of both worlds!
It would make a great addition to a seafood-based Christmas Eve Feast of the Seven Fishes dinner, or to any festive meal, paired with white wine.
[Adapted from a recipe by Victor Pena Guilera, Culinary Research & Innovation Manager, Pastificio Giovanni Rana]
- For the Lobster Filling:
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1.2 ounces) julienned leek (white part only)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry white wine
- 1/2 pound cooked lobster meat
- ¼ cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (1.3 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (3.2 ounces) Alfredo sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste (doppio concentrato di pomodoro)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- For the Ricotta-Mozzarella-Mascarpone Filling:
- ¾ cup (2.6 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup (2.8 ounces) fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) mascarpone cheese
- Pinch fine sea salt
- For the Lasagna:
- 1 package (8.8 ounces/250 grams/6 sheets) fresh lasagne sheets
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) Alfredo sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- ½ cup (1.8 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
To make the lobster filling:
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add the leek and cook until softened, two to three minutes.
Add the garlic and white wine and continue cooking until garlic is softened, another two to three minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool.
In a large bowl, mix all of the remaining lobster filling ingredients.
Then add in the cooled leek-garlic mixture and mix to combine.
To make the ricotta-mozzarella-mascarpone filling:
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
To assemble and bake the lasagna:
Preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C).
Distribute the Alfredo sauce evenly over the bottom of an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish.
Cover the Alfredo sauce with an even layer of lasagna sheets.
Spread half of the lobster filling over the pasta sheets.
Then cover with the second layer of pasta sheets.
Spread the ricotta-mozzarella-mascarpone filling over the second layer of lasagna sheets.
Then cover with the third sheet of lasagna.
Spread the remaining lobster filling over the final sheet of pasta.
Then cover evenly with the shredded fresh mozzarella and tomatoes.
Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.