Have you ever thought of putting lobster on pizza? When I was in Maine a few summers ago I ate lobster every chance I got, so when I saw a Lobster Flatbread Pizza on the menu at a restaurant I had to order it. I wasn't sure what to expect, but let me tell you, it was delicious. I finally got around to trying to recreate it at home, and now you can enjoy it too. It's a great way to have a little taste of the ocean with your pizza.
This dish is perfect as an appetizer or a main course. This takes more time to prepare than an average pizza, but it's worth it, as is any recipe with lobster in it.
- 1 pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Italian fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ** 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh raw lobster tail and/or claw meat (well drained and patted dry – o
- Otherwise your pizza will turn out soggy)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- ** Boil or steam live lobsters. Boiling is a little quicker and easier to time precisely, and the meat comes out of the shell more readily than when steamed. Boil the lobsters for 12-20 minutes or longer, depending on the size of the lobster (12-15 minutes for 1 pound lobster, 15-20 minutes for a 1 1/2 pound lobster, 20-25 minutes for a 2-3 pound lobster). The lobsters should be a bright vivid red color when done.
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place dough in a bowl and bring it to room temperature. Cover and let rest until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 F, with a pizza stone, if using.
- Punch dough down. Hand-stretch the dough to form a circle. Place on a well-floured pizza peel if using a pizza stone, or onto a pizza pan.
- In a small bowl, combine minced garlic and olive oil. Use a spoon or brush to spread garlic-olive oil mixture over dough.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheeses. Sprinkle half of them over the dough. Arrange lobster evenly over cheeses and sprinkle with thyme and red pepper. Finally, sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the crust and the top of the pizza are a golden brown. Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges.
This pizza would be great with some vegetables on it as well. I suggest artichoke hearts, mushrooms, or asparagus. Try it with one or all three! You could also use a cream-based sauce instead of the garlic-olive oil for something really rich and tasty.
This pizza would also taste fantastic on the grill. You could even grill the lobster a little beforehand.