Have you ever thought of putting lobster on pizza? When I was in Maine a few summers ago I ate lobster every chance I got, so when I saw a Lobster Flatbread Pizza on the menu at a restaurant I had to order it. I wasn't sure what to expect, but let me tell you, it was delicious. I finally got around to trying to recreate it at home, and now you can enjoy it too. It's a great way to have a little taste of the ocean with your pizza.
This dish is perfect as an appetizer or a main course. This takes more time to prepare than an average pizza, but it's worth it, as is any recipe with lobster in it.
- 1 pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Italian fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ** 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh raw lobster tail and/or claw meat (well drained and patted dry – o
- therwise your pizza will turn out soggy)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- ** Boil or steam live lobsters. Boiling is a little quicker and easier to time precisely, and the meat comes out of the shell more readily than when steamed. Boil the lobsters for 12-20 minutes or longer, depending on the size of the lobster (12-15 minutes for 1 pound lobster, 15-20 minutes for a 1 1/2 pound lobster, 20-25 minutes for a 2-3 pound lobster). The lobsters should be a bright vivid red color when done.
1. Place dough in a bowl and bring it to room temperature. Cover and let rest until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450 F, with a pizza stone, if using.
3. Punch dough down. Hand-stretch the dough to form a circle. Place on a well-floured pizza peel if using a pizza stone, or onto a pizza pan.
4. In a small bowl, combine minced garlic and olive oil. Use a spoon or brush to spread garlic-olive oil mixture over dough.
5. In a medium bowl, combine cheeses. Sprinkle half of them over the dough. Arrange lobster evenly over cheeses and sprinkle with thyme and red pepper. Finally, sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the crust and the top of the pizza are a golden brown. Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges.
This pizza would be great with some vegetables on it as well. I suggest artichoke hearts, mushrooms, or asparagus. Try it with one or all three! You could also use a cream-based sauce instead of the garlic-olive oil for something really rich and tasty.
This pizza would also taste fantastic on the grill. You could even grill the lobster a little beforehand.