Locro de papa is a cheesy potato soup that is a staple of Ecuadorian cuisine. It's traditionally garnished with avocado, and served with a spicy aji sauce. Locro de papa is simple and fairly quick to make, with basic ingredients. It's nourishing and filling - the perfect comfort food. You can add a little aji amarillo paste to the sautéed onion if you like a little kick. Corn is also a popular addition (the large kernel Andean choclo corn is delicious).
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional: 1 tablespoons aji amarillo paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 5 ounces Monterey jack cheese (grated)
- Optional garnish: diced avocado
- Optional garnish: crumbled queso fresco cheese
- Optional: Aji sauce
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a heavy soup pot.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and optional aji amarillo paste. Sauté onions over low heat until soft, fragrant and translucent.
- While the onions are cooking, peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- When the onions are soft and golden, add 1 cup of the chicken stock.
- Remove mixture to a blender and process until you have a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the soup pot along with 1 tablespoon butter. Sauté until potatoes are fragrant and just start to turn golden.
- Add onion liquid back to the pot with the potatoes, along with another cup of chicken stock and 2 cups water.
- Bring liquid to a simmer, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook potatoes until they are very tender about 20-25 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes thoroughly in the pot with a potato masher.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg together with the cream and milk. Whisk a cup of the hot soup mixture into the milk and cream, then add it all to the soup, whisking to blend.
- Whisk in the grated cheese until melted. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with chopped avocado and crumbled queso fresco cheese.
Serves 6 generously.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|