|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Make your own long grain wild rice mix for a wonderful side dish in minutes. If you can't find Spike seasoning, which is made of dozens of dried vegetables and herbs, you can use homemade herb mix.
This amount will make one dish that serves 1 cup to 4 people, or 1/2 cup to 8 people, depending on people's appetites and tastes. You can easily triple or quadruple this recipe to save time. Then, when you want a side dish for roast chicken, meatloaf, or grilled steak or pork, just combine the mix with water and simmer on the stovetop—see our further instructions below on how to make it. In about 50 minutes, you'll have a perfectly seasoned side dish.
1 cup long grain brown rice
1/2 cup wild rice
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons dried herb mix seasoning (such as Spike)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Mix brown rice, wild rice, dried parsley flakes, Spike seasoning or herb mix, dried thyme, tarragon, white pepper, and salt until combined.
Store mix in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place.
How to Make Long Grain Wild Rice Side Dish
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 2 cups long grain wild rice mix
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice mix, cover the pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, add butter, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Brown rice will work better than white rice in this recipe just because it has about the same cooking time as wild rice. If you use white rice, it may become too soft or mushy during cooking.
- Other types of rice would work well too, as long as they cook in about 45 to 50 minutes. Red rice or black rice would be a good addition to this recipe.
- This makes one side dish. You can multiply ingredients to make more mixes.
- Make sure to store it in an airtight container. Use within three months.
- You can season this recipe any way you'd like. Add different herbs or spices, add some dehydrated vegetables such as dried onion or garlic too. Basil, oregano, dill, or Italian seasoning would add a nice flavor to the recipe.
- You can also stir about a tablespoon of butter and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese into the rice when it's finished cooking. Let the rice stand, covered, off the heat for five minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.