|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 80 pieces (80 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Loukoumades (loo-koo-MAH-thes) is the Greek version of a doughnut.
I’ve been very fortunate enough to be exposed to lots of Greek foods, especially desserts. I took a tour group on a Greek Island cruise. One of my very favorite bosses was Greek and mother-in-law is Greek, making my husband half Greek and half Italian.
You’ll notice, like I’ve noticed, that a good portion of Greek desserts and other sweet treats are made with honey. I know I don’t need to list the benefits of eating honey. Just be sure to buy local honey when you can. It’s said that eating local honey helps build immunities against allergies.
- Gather the ingredients.
- Clean off a space to place the freshly cooked doughnuts. Spread newspaper and paper towels over the top of it.
- Dissolve the yeast in water and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes. Sift the flour and salt together. Make a hole in the flour and pour in the yeast mixture. Combine the mixture gently while continuously adding the warm water. A soft and sticky dough will formed. Cover the dough with a clean, damp dish towel. Allow the dough to double in size.
- Bring the sugar, honey, and water to a boil. Boil this mixture for 6 minutes. Remove it from the high heat, but keep it warm.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or in a deep skillet.
- Use a tablespoon measuring spoon to drop the batter into the hot oil. When batter begins to float, and it is golden and puffy, remove it to drain on paper towel.
- Place the doughnuts on a serving platter. Lastly, pour the syrup over the hot doughnuts and sprinkle them with cinnamon.
- These taste best served with strong coffee and a newspaper, the old fashioned paper kind is best, but digital will do.
More Desserts Made with Honey
Honey Poppy Seed Dressing is fantastic on a fruit salad. It’s not too overpowering or too sweet to take away from the natural flavors from the fruit.
Honey Butter is what my father made for me to enjoy on his homemade breads and biscuits. Literally, it really is just butter and honey mixed together. You will need the recipe to get the correct amounts.
Peanut Honey Spread is perfect on your own homemade biscuits.
Holiday Honey Cake is served on EL AL, Israel’s national airline. Honey is big in the Middle East as well.
Cranberry Lemon Baklava Tarts are bite sized treats that make the perfect treat to serve at a party.
Lavender Mint Cookies have such a subtle flavor that I know you’ll just love them.