|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||22%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|Total Sugars 24g|
|Vitamin C 62mg||310%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
There's no guarantee that this cocktail is a love potion of any kind and it's probably not Madame Ruth's magic shot that the popular oldies song talks about. However, it is guaranteed that it looks nothing like Indian ink nor does it smell like turpentine! This love potion #9 is actually a really good frozen cocktail, especially with strawberry vodka and a chocolate-rimmed glass.
One of the nice things about this love potion cocktail is that it has just 1 1/2 ounces of liquor, so it is a gentle, low-proof drink that is also delicious. There are a few ways that you can adapt it to make it your own as well.
1/2 cup ice
1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
1 ounce vodka (unflavored, strawberry, or vanilla)
1/2 ounce white crème de cacao liqueur
Strawberry, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a blender, add the ice, strawberries, vanilla ice cream, vodka, and crème de cacao.
Blend until smooth.
Pour into a chilled margarita glass.
Garnish with a strawberry. Serve and enjoy.
- If the mix is too thick, add a little extra vodka or chocolate liqueur (milk is also an option). When it's too thin for your liking, add either ice or ice cream and blend again.
- You'll have a pretty tall drink if you follow the recipe, so you may want to split it with that special someone!
- The recipe recommends white crème de cacao because the clear liqueur will retain the drink's pink colors from the strawberries.
- While clear vodka is good in this cocktail, you'll likely find that either the strawberry or vanilla vodka options are better. Both flavored vodkas are readily available on the market and either is an easy infusion to do at home as well. You will just need to allow 3 to 5 days to make the infusions.
- There are many other chocolate liqueurs available, but the darker ones will make the blend look muddy. This is not a bad thing, necessarily, because one of the best versions is made with Godiva Liqueur and the rich chocolate flavor makes up for the color. Godiva also makes a white chocolate liqueur.
- Have fun with the ice cream! Vanilla is a standard go-to in ice cream cocktails, but there are so many more possibilities. Try vanilla with a fudge swirl or switch to chocolate or a fruity ice cream.
- Strawberries are an aphrodisiac, so a natural choice for this "love potion." Add other types of berries to the blender if you like, or go with that never-fail combination of strawberries and bananas for a fun twist.
How Strong Is a Love Potion #9?
Just how light is this love potion? While it will depend on the vodka you pour, when made with a flavored vodka (typically 70 proof), it blends up to a delicate 4 percent ABV (8 proof). That makes it equivalent to drinking a beer, only this cocktail is far more delicious!