The tart Granny Smith apples in this low-calorie baked apple crisp are complemented nicely by the sweet crumb topping and creamy frozen vanilla yogurt. The crisp Granny Smith variety of apples is used in this recipe because they hold up well during cooking and their tartness is a good foil for the other super-sweet ingredients in this classic dessert.
If you don't have Granny Smith apples available, a couple of other alternatives that could hold up well in this recipe include Honeycrisp, the sweet and tart Pink Lady apple, or a Jonagold apple. Try out a few different types of apples to see which work best for you.
This apple crisp makes a superb fall treat when apples are at their peak and are their freshest. Be sure to serve the apple crisp immediately after removing it from the oven topped with just a bit of cool and creamy vanilla frozen yogurt for just the right amount of contrast.
- For the Apples:
- 4 cups (3 to 4 medium) peeled, cored, sliced Granny Smith apples cut 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick
- For the Crisp Topping:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For Serving:
- 1 cup low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Coat an 11x7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the apples evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Make the crisp topping by combining in a medium bowl the granulated sugar, lemon juice, oats, flour, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, and salt until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake the crisp for 30 minutes or until the crisp becomes lightly browned and the apples are tender when pierced with the tip of a thin knife.
- Remove the crisp from the oven, and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes until it is easy to portion out of the baking dish.
- Top each apple crisp serving with about 2 tablespoons of frozen vanilla yogurt and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: (1/2 cup apple crisp with 2 tablespoons of frozen yogurt) 190 calories.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|