This low-calorie banana bread recipe has been tweaked to remove some of the sugar and butter.
But don't let the "low-calorie" label deter you from trying this delicious version of the classic quick bread. The applesauce in this recipe serves two purposes by replacing half of the butter and adding sweetness since the sugar is half the amount in traditional recipes.
Try serving this for breakfast or snacks and don't feel guilty doing it. The bread turns out wonderfully moist and fills the whole house with its mouth-watering aroma while baking.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 large room-temperature egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup ripe bananas (about 3 small), mashed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup
- whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 F. Coat an 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and softened butter with a mixer at medium speed, about 3 minutes, or until the butter and the sugar are well combined and light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the applesauce, and beat another 2 minutes. Gently fold in the bananas.
- Lightly spoon the all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine the two flours, baking soda, and salt in a separate large bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing after each addition until the batter is moistened and no dry streaks of flour show.
- Carefully pour all of the batter into the loaf pan, using a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Place the pan in the oven and for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center of the bread comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrifacts per Serving: 100 calories, 23 calories from fat, 2.5 g total fat (1.4 g sat fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 2 g protein, 17 g CHO, 1 g fiber.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|