This recipe for healthy chicken tortilla soup combines warm and smokey cumin with spicy peppers and tomatoes for a full flavored Mexican inspired soup that is really low in calories. It is full of healthy vegetables and lean protein-rich chicken breast and topped with just a bit of part-skim mozzarella cheese and baked tortilla chips for a nice crunch.
If you have a hard time finding baked tortilla chips in the grocery store these days, try making your own out of corn tortillas. They are pretty simple to make, and quite inexpensive as well compared to store-bought chips. The baked version will save you quite a few calories and fat grams as compared to standard tortillas chips coming from the store.
Maybe the best thing about this soup is that by using canned tomatoes and broth, this soup literally comes together in about 20 minutes. It is a very quick, easy recipe for a last-minute light supper or lunch on a cool day when you are craving a filling and warm soup. But take one bite of this soup, and you will not think that it took only minutes to prepare. It seems like one of those soups that simmered over the stove all day.
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1/2 of one medium)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces crushed baked tortilla chips
- Garnish: diced cilantro
- The first thing to do is to cook the onions and garlic to release their delicious flavor. Heat a large, high-sided pan, coated with cooking spray, over medium-high heat and add the garlic. Cook the garlic for one minute until it becomes aromatic.
- Next, add the chicken, onion, and cumin, and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. While cooking the onions and the chicken, toss them around the hot pan occasionally so that they cook evenly on all sides.
- Next, pour in the water, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and stewed tomatoes right into the same pot as the chicken and the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 10 minutes while all of the flavors blend together.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls to serve. For a nice presentation, top the bowls of soup evenly with the shredded cheese, chips, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Per Serving Calories 155
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|