This slow cooker pineapple chicken recipe results in a moist and tender chicken that is both a bit sweet and a bit savory. Note that a Crock-Pot is a just a particular brand of slow cooker, so you can prepare this recipe in any slow cooker that is large enough to accommodate the below recipe.
The ingredients and the method are both quite simple, so it makes for a no-stress weeknight meal, made even better because you can toss all of the ingredients into the slow cooker early in the day, and then have a warm and filling meal ready at dinnertime with very little prep.
You may want to serve the pineapple chicken with some steamed brown rice. If you happen to have a rice cooker, you can also prepare this early in the day so that come dinnertime -- after a busy day at work -- you'll have virtually no extra prep. Round out the meal with a green salad for color and crispness and plenty of nutrition, all packed in a minimal number of calories.
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 1 20-oz. can unsweetened chunk pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- 2 tbsps. soy sauce
- 3 tbsps. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, lay the chicken on the bottom of the dish. Add the undrained pineapple, red bell pepper, chicken broth, ginger, and garlic.
- Cook the mixture on low for five hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, cornstarch, white vinegar, and brown sugar. Remove the cooking liquid from the slow cooker using a ladle, and add it to the pot. Heat the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until it becomes thick. Return the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Before serving, sprinkle the dish with chopped green onion.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|