Using extra vegetables, tomato juice and tomatoes with fewer beans keeps this vegetarian chili lower in calories. Though meatless chili is already a healthy and low-fat choice, this version is extra low-cal.
This was one of those recipes that came about purely because of what someone had on hand in the kitchen, which happened to be lots of veggies and not so many beans! It's really more like a chili-spiced tomato soup than a hearty chili.
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 large carrot, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 15-oz.can kidney beans
- 1 28-oz.can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 12-oz.can tomato juice or V8
- 1 jalapeno or other small spicy pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Optional: green onions for garnish
- In a large non-stick pot, heat the garlic and onions for 3-4 minutes. Add the water and carrots and heat, stirring for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add green bell pepper, red bell pepper and soy sauce, stirring to combine well. Heat for just another minute or two.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add all the remaining ingredients, except for the green onions.
- Cover and allow to slowly simmer for at least 25 minutes and up to 40 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste. Garnish with some green onions or even a bit of cheese or sour cream if you're not eating vegan.
Nutritional information (from CalorieCount):
- Calories: 195; Calories from fat: 10
- Total Fat: 1.1g, 2% daily value; Trans fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
- Sodium: 614mg, 26%
- Total Carbohydrates: 38.0g, 13%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.6g, 38%
- Sugars: 9.5g
- Protein: 11.2g
- Vitamin A: 80%
- Vitamin C: 159%
- Calcium: 5%
- Iron: 32g
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||14 g|