This low-calorie veggie omelet is especially delicious in spring when asparagus and mushrooms are in season. But you could use any other fresh veggies that sound good and are in season. Pair with whole-wheat toast and fresh fruit for a well-balanced breakfast or brunch.
Traditionally an omelet would probably not be part of a healthy eating plan. Usually, omelets use several eggs per omelet and are stuffed with cheese and fatty meats, and they end up being rather high in calories. This omelet uses eggs whites with only one egg yolk for a nice balance of flavor and texture with health and nutrition. Then fresh vegetable is added to the omelet adding lots of healthy nutrients and dietary fiber.
You can serve up this healthy omelet any time of the day and feel good doing it. It does suit any meal of the day well. Prepare it for a leisurely breakfast or brunch, or make one up for a fancy lunch. If you think you have nothing to make for dinner but you have eggs and cheese in the fridge as well as a few fresh veggies, you can make up one of these tasty omelets for dinner too!
- Heat a small, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray, and cook the asparagus and mushrooms for four minutes, or until tender. Remove the tender vegetables from the pan, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper. Then, pour the egg mixture into the pan, coating the entire bottom of the pan.
- Allow the mixture to cook for about two minutes until the bottom of the egg mixture becomes slightly firm.
- Next, evenly sprinkle the cheese, mushrooms, and asparagus on one-half of the omelet. Then, using a spatula, very carefully fold one end of the omelet over the other, enclosing the veggies inside. The egg mixture will have to have formed a skin on the bottom, and you will want to make sure that as you fold the omelet over you are careful not to break the skin of the omelet.
- Continue cooking the omelet for 2 more minutes, until egg is fully cooked through and the omelet is nice and fluffy.
- Carefully slide the omelet off of the pan and on to a plate, again being very careful not to break your nicely formed omelet. Then serve the omelet immediately.
Per Serving Calories 201
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|