Snacking is a part of life. Too many snacks can lead to weight gain, but if you select wisely on your sugar-free journey, snacks can be a wonderful part of your diet that will keep you on a sustainable sugar-free lifestyle.
For some, going sugar-free means excluding all forms of sugar, including fruit. Even the sweetness from a serving of banana may be enough to throw you back into a sugar craving tailspin. If that is the case for you then even this snack might be something you need to avoid, but for many, an occasional fruit-sweetened treat won't do harm.
Banana is considered an indulgence in a sugar-free diet because it is so high in carbs and natural sugars. Luckily just a little mashed, ripe banana goes a long way in taste. This recipe includes a 1/4 cup mashed banana which is approximately equal to one small banana. Divided by 4 servings, that's not much in the grand scheme of things and combined with added banana extract to provide that satisfying banana flavor is low in carbs and sugars. Chia seeds are very high in fiber and paired with the banana, helps to reduce your total net carbs. It's a quick and easy dessert or snack you can make ahead and keep in the fridge -- perfect for busy days when you need a fast pick-me-up.
Calories: 166, Calories from Fat: 102, Total Fat: 11.3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium: 147 mg, Carbohydrate: 14.8 g, Fiber: 10.8 g, Sugars: 1.3 g, Protein: 6.6 g, Vitamin C: 1%, Vitamin A: 5%, Iron: 14%, Calcium: 38%, Net Carbs: 4.8 grams per serving
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia (or sweetener of choice to taste)
- Pinch salt
- Optional: sugar-free whipped cream and/or sugar-free chocolate sauce for topping
- Stir all the ingredients together until combined. Use a stand mixer if the mashed banana does not incorporate well enough.
- Taste and adjust sweetener to your preference.
- Let sit 5 minutes then stir again and pour into serving glasses.
- Refrigerate 10 minutes until set.
- Top with dairy-free whipped cream and a drizzle of sugar-free chocolate syrup if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|