It is dessert time and you are in the mood for something decadent--non-fat frozen yogurt with fruit just won't cut it tonight. You need a cookie, and something a bit more special than a chocolate chip cookie. How about a chocolate chocolate chip cookie! And one that is low in fat, no less.
But who would think a double chocolate chip cookie could be low fat and delicious at the same time? By using half the amount of butter usually called for in traditional cookie recipes, and substituting an egg white for a whole egg, the fat content in this cookie is cut nearly in half. The result is a double chocolate chip cookie that makes a wonderful almost guilt-free indulgence.
Using unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips creates an intense chocolate flavor. Adding mini instead of regular chocolate chips allows us to use a smaller quantity--because their smaller size lets them go a longer way.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg white and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg and sugar, mixing between each addition with the electric mixer on low speed. Remove bowl from mixer and use a wooden spoon to work the dough together. Don’t worry if the dough seems a little crumbly at first. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop cookie dough by the teaspoonful onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Per Serving: Calories 65, Calories from Fat 21, Total Fat 2.3g (sat 1.8g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 44mg, Carbohydrate 10.3g, Fiber 0.5g, Protein 0.7g
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|