Spaghetti and Meatballs are something the whole family can enjoy. Here, I make lower fat meatballs by using extra-lean ground beef and adding tomato sauce and chopped onion to keep them moist. The meatballs are baked, not fried, and then simmered in a low-fat marinara sauce. I promise you won't miss the excess fat in this low-fat spaghetti and meatballs dish.
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (about 1 slice)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canned no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low fat, low sodium marinara sauce (such as Amy’s or Trader Joe’s)
- 8-ounces spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crumble ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add breadcrumbs, oregano, onion, tomato sauce, garlic, and parsley.
- Combine ingredients thoroughly, either with fingers or with a fork.
- Roll meatball mixture into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- You should have about 20 meatballs.
- Bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes, turning once in the middle of cooking.
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot according to package directions, without added salt or oil.
- In a large pan, heat marinara sauce; add cooked meatballs to the sauce and simmer until the pasta is ready.
Per Serving: Calories 404, Calories from Fat 60, Total Fat 6.9g (sat 2.4g), Cholesterol 52mg, Sodium 242mg, Carbohydrate 58.4g, Fiber 3.4g, Protein 27.7g
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|