If you'd like to try a low-fat vegan banana bread recipe, this is a great one to try. Because this vegan version is egg-free and dairy-free, with just 1/3 cup of vegan margarine in the ingredients, it is much lower in fat than regular banana bread.
To sweeten it up a bit, I like to add a sprinkle of sugar to the top of my banana bread before baking, for an extra sweet treat. Or, try adding some vegan chocolate chips into the mix just before baking for a vegan chocolate chip banana bread. Of course, it might not be low-fat anymore if you do that!
Another great reason I love this low-fat vegan banana bread recipe is that it's great for people new to vegan baking. Even if you haven't yet discovered how easy it is to bake with egg replacers, you can still make this simple vegan banana bread - no egg replacer or egg substitute needed!
If you're new to vegan baking, this is a good easy vegan recipe to start with. Everyone loves banana bread! But, if you're bored of banana bread, allow me to suggest a fun alternative: this fat-free vegan pumpkin bread, or, try this classic vegan zucchini bread recipe.
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine or a vegan butter substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other chopped nuts (optional)
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, prepare a loaf pan with a coat of non-stick spray or a light coat of vegan margarine. You can also lightly coat the pan with sugar if you prefer a sweeter vegan banana bread and to give it a nice sweet, crunchy bit on the outside.
- Cream together the vegan margarine and sugar, then stir in the flour and baking powder and baking soda.
- Once the flour is well incorporated, stir in the mashed bananas, soy milk and vanilla, stirring to incorporate well. Gently fold in the walnuts, or any other chopped nuts you'd like to add.
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled bread pan and bake for 50 minutes.
This egg-free and dairy-free banana bread recipe is reprinted with permission from The Compassionate Cook Cookbook