If you are new to a sugar-free lifestyle, eating desserts might not be something you thought you could still enjoy -- but you can! Living a sustainable sugar-free lifestyle does not mean depriving yourself of all treats. The trick is to make it at home where you can control the amount of sweetness you prefer.
Fruits are an excellent source of fiber, and also a natural way to sweeten a recipe. But for some of us, even sweet fruits can tend to make us have sugar cravings. Being sugar-free means limiting the amount of fruit consumed in a day and the same goes for how much you can put into a dessert.
This recipe is a happy medium of both worlds. It still has the banana flavor but doesn't incorporate much of the sweet, ripe fruit that would increase carbs and kick cravings into high gear. Banana extract is added to enhance the banana flavoring without adding sweetness. Vanilla creme liquid stevia is an excellent ingredient to have on hand as well -- it is best for no-bake desserts like this one. Even better, there is no aftertaste in Sweetleaf, the brand used in this recipe. (Tip: You can find many flavored varieties at iherb.com and save on your order using discount code YAJ035.)
If you simply don't care for stevia, try Confectioner's Swerve Sweetener which is a cup-for-cup sugar substitute consisting of erythritol. It is a lot less sweet than stevia and even sugar, but your taste buds may prefer it.
- In a small saucepan, add the water and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Heat on low and stirring constantly until gelatin is dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Place the banana, ricotta, extract, stevia or choice of sugar-free sweetener that equals about 1/2 cup sugar and salt to a stand mixer. Blend on high until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness to your preference.
- Change the paddle of your stand mixer to the whisk attachment. Slowly pour in the cream and whip until the texture is thickened.
- Slowly add in the cooled gelatin and continue to whip for a minute more.
- Pipe or spoon into serving glasses and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour, then serve. Top with optional chopped walnuts or even pecans or sugar-free chocolate chips if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|