|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 18 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This basic stuffed celery makes a nice snack or appetizer for a party or holiday meal. It's quick and easy to prepare ahead of time. Cream cheese, seasonings, and mayonnaise get mixed into a delicious spread that gets put into the celery. Cheese-stuffed celery complements most any menu at any time of year. This is a great standby appetizer recipe.
There are a lot of ways to change up this recipe to make it your own. Try one of these suggestions or experiment with your own variations.
- Using this base, you could add a topping to the celery, like raisins on the classic after-school snack "ants on a log." If you are using the cheese topping in the recipe, try adding slivered almonds or olive slices to the tops of the stuffed celery.
- If you have celery stalks with the leaves on top, use these too. Wash, dry, and cut the leaves and sprinkle them on top of the stuffed celery.
- For a Mexican twist, omit the paprika and Worcestershire sauce and add in cumin and hot sauce. Top the celery with trimmed cilantro leaves or lime zest.
- You could also try a sweeter version that omits the paprika and Worcestershire sauce and instead includes cinnamon and sugar mixed with the cream cheese and a small amount of mayonnaise. These could be topped with raisins or dried cranberries.
If you are making these ahead of time, it's best to make the mixture and clean the celery, but wait to fill the celery until that day. The mixture may become too wet if it remains in the celery for longer than a few hours. If you have any leftovers, the cream cheese mixture is perfect as is for a dip. Dip any leftover celery, crackers, or other vegetables into it. If you prefer not to put the mixture into the celery at all, use this recipe as a good starting point for a versatile dip to use with a raw veggie platter. Another option is to use this cream cheese mixture and put it on top of crackers, small toasts, or slices of bread. It's so good, so simple, and very versatile.
- 6 celery stalks
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- A few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise or more as needed
Wash the celery, separate the stalks, and cut into even lengths, about 3 pieces per stalk.
In a small bowl, mash the cream cheese with a fork.
Add salt, pepper, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, and enough mayonnaise to make the filling into a spreadable consistency.
Fill the celery pieces with the cream cheese and mayonnaise mixture. If desired, sprinkle with more paprika for color. Use a small spoon or even a piping bag to fill the celery.
Arrange the stuffed celery on a platter and chill thoroughly before serving.