A simple vegetarian pasta main dish that the kids will love. Made from macaroni and cheese, black beans, corn and salsa as well as tofu for healthy soy protein, this is a quick meatless meal perfect for a family weeknight dinner.
If you like cooking quick and simple pasta dinners, be sure to check out these 15 weeknight vegetarian pasta dishes.
- 1 box (14.5-ounces) family size macaroni and cheese
- 1/2 (14- or 16-ounce) package firm water-packed tofu
- 1 to 2 tablespoons soy oil
- 1 can (15-ounces) black beans
- 1 can (15-ounces) corn
- 1 1/2 cups prepared salsa
- Heat water in large saucepan or pot to cook macaroni as package directs.
- Meanwhile, drain the tofu and cut the block in half. Put one half in plastic bag or refrigerator container, cover with water and refrigerate for another use within a few days. Cut the remaining half of the tofu into small cubes and place on paper towels. Pat dry with additional paper towels.
- In skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add tofu cubes and brown, stirring occasionally, to brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and let tofu heat while preparing macaroni and cheese according to package directions.
- In colander, drain and then rinse black beans and corn. In same large saucepan or pot used to cook macaroni, combine tofu, black beans, corn and salsa into macaroni and cheese. Heat over medium-low heat until all ingredients are heated through, about 10 minutes.
- If you wish, serve with additional salsa, shredded cheese or sour cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||28 g|