This family favorite casserole recipe is a nicely seasoned combination of macaroni pasta, ground beef, and tomatoes. The layers of Cheddar cheese make it hearty and flavorful.
1. Cook macaroni in boiling salted water and then drain following package directions.
2. Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4). Butter a 2-quart baking dish or casserole.
3. In a large saucepan, combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, onion, green pepper, garlic, butter, pepper, and ground beef. Cook, stirring frequently until the beef is browned. Add the bay leaf and tomatoes and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes; stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Cheddar cheese.
4. Spoon about half of the cooked and drained macaroni into a buttered 2-quart casserole. Top with cooked meat mixture then remaining macaroni. Sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
5. Bake the casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|