|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These macaroni and cheese bites are incredibly delicious, and they are an excellent way to use leftover mac and cheese. A great appetizer or game-day snack to munch on, these deep-fried bites are so easy to make. Macaroni and cheese is simply formed into balls, dipped in dry breadcrumbs, then coated in an egg and milk mixture and rolled again into the breadcrumbs for a second coating. Just wait until you bite into one. They're crispy on the outside, creamy cheesy on the inside, so delicious. The deep-fried fritters are an addictive snack, so be sure you make enough to go around.
There are so many variations you can do to jazz these bites up even more, and we've provided some suggestions for you below the recipe.
Serve the mac and cheese bites as a snack with a spicy sriracha mayonnaise, ranch dressing, or a honey mustard dip.
3 cups canola oil, or vegetable oil, as needed to fill line on deep-fryer
2 cups macaroni and cheese leftovers, cold
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oil in a deep, heavy saucepan to about 360 F, or until a cube of bread browns in about 30 seconds.
Shape the cold macaroni and cheese into small balls.
In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs lightly with 2 tablespoons of milk.
Dip the mac and cheese balls in breadcrumbs, then into the beaten eggs, and then in crumbs again.
Drop carefully into hot fat and cook, turning, until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm while making subsequent batches.
- To best form into balls, the macaroni and cheese needs to be cold.
- To keep batches warm while making more, place the drained fritters on a rack in a baking pan and place it in a 200 F oven.
- Add some crumbled bacon, jalapeño peppers, diced pimientos, or cooked vegetables to the mac and cheese mixture before breading.
- Put a small chunk of ham or cheese in the center of each croquette before breading.
- Add a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs.
- Garnish with chives for additional flavor, if you desire.