These macaroni and cheese bites are incredibly delicious, and they are an excellent way to use leftover mac and cheese. The deep-fried fritters are an addictive snack, so be sure you make enough to go around!
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy saucepan to about 360 F, or until a cube of bread browns in about 30 seconds.
- Shape the cold macaroni and cheese into small balls.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs lightly with 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Dip the mac and cheese balls in bread crumbs, then into the beaten eggs, then in crumbs again.
- Drop carefully into hot fat and cook, turning, until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm while making subsequent batches.
Variations and Tips
- To keep batches warm while making more, place the drained fritters on a rack in a baking pan and place it in a 200 F oven.
- Add some crumbled bacon, jalapeno peppers, diced pimientos, or cooked vegetables to the mac and cheese mixture before breading.
- Put a small chunk of ham or cheese in the center of each croquette before breading.
- Add a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|