This classic macaroni and cheese recipe gets its bold flavor from sharp cheddar cheese and its umami (the fifth category of taste) from Worcestershire sauce. Buy the cheese in a block and grate it at home for the best result; bags of pre-shredded cheese contain cornstarch, which inhibits smooth melting. The breadcrumb topping adds a toasty crumble, and you can give it even more character by tossing the breadcrumbs with fresh garlic butter. Serve this alongside a simple green salad for an easy weeknight dinner or bring it to a backyard barbecue for a crowd-pleasing side dish.
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups milk
- 1 small onion (grated)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (cooked until not quite done and drained)
- 3/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Optional: 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour, dry seasonings, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk; continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture becomes thick and smooth. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the grated onion and cheese.
- Pour the macaroni into the casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and gently mix to blend.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small heavy saucepan and saute the minced garlic, if desired, in it for one minute. Toss the butter with the breadcrumbs and spread them evenly over the macaroni.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the mixture bubbles and the crumb topping turns golden brown.
More About Macaroni and Cheese
Childhood favorite still at the top your list? Check out these other macaroni and cheese recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||59 g|
|Saturated Fat||33 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|