Want your kids to eat more veggies but are having a hard time doing so? Try grilling up this tasty grilled macaroni and cheese sandwich and stuffing it with delicious and nutritious broccoli florets. Since your crew will be enjoying
Also, this recipe calls for leftover macaroni and cheese, but it can totally work if you make it on the spot as long as you let it cool and thicken up for a bit. I recommend following this recipe if you don't have some already on hand.
To view step-by-step photographs for this recipe or to view the original post on my blog Grilled Cheese Social.com.
- 2 slices texas toast (thick cut)
- 2 to 3 oz cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup mac n cheese (leftover)
- 2 tbsp broccoli (cooked and chopped)
- 2 tsp butter (salted)
1. Begin by taking one piece of Texas toast and covering it with half the cheddar cheese. Then take a scoop of the macaroni and place it in the middle of the bread. Gently spread it out but make sure to keep the macaroni and cheese close to the center of the bread - so it doesn't spill out while cooking. Push the broccoli into the mac n cheese and add the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Place the other piece of bread on top and butter both sides of the sandwich
2. Place the buttered sandwich in a medium sized frying pan and turn the heat to medium. Cook for a few minutes on each side until its all golden and brown and the cheese has completely melted.
5. Remove the grilled cheese from heat and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||46 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|