Cooked bacon adds smoky flavor to the cheese and bread crumb topping in this flavorful and creamy macaroni and cheese casserole. Feel free to make it without the addition of green onions. I thought they went well with the bacon flavor, but if you're not a fan of onions, you can leave them out.
Serve this macaroni and cheese with sliced tomatoes or a tossed salad for a satisfying family meal.
- 6 strips bacon
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (2 cups dry)
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- Dash garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces, divided)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add the bacon. Cook until the bacon is browned and crisp, turning frequently. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain the macaroni in a colander, rinse with hot water, and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the green onions and garlic powder. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir until well blended and smooth. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Set 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese aside and stir the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese into the sauce. Continue cooking and stirring until the cheese has melted.
- Combine the cheese sauce with the drained macaroni and then spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle the reserved 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the bacon.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a small bowl and drizzle the butter over them. Toss the breadcrumbs lightly to coat with the butter. Sprinkle the crumbs over the cheese and bacon.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese casserole for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||48 g|
|Saturated Fat||25 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|