Macaroni and chicken come together with a tasty mixture of cheddar cheese and sour cream. Vegetables in this pasta and chicken casserole include mushrooms, pimientos, and bell pepper. If your family isn't fond of some of the ingredients, feel free to make changes. The mushrooms are easily omitted, or add some steamed peas instead.
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (or similar pasta)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper ( chopped, about half of a small bell pepper)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed olives (or drained pimientos)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken (diced cooked)
- 1/4 cup milk
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions; drain and then transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, mushrooms, and chopped green bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion is softened and the mushrooms are browned.
- Add the cooked vegetable mixture to the macaroni along with the chopped olives, shredded cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper, chicken, and milk.
- Transfer chicken and macaroni mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the breadcrumbs with the 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and the bread crumb topping is lightly browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||38 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|