This one-dish macaroni and chicken casserole is a snap to fix with cooked chicken, fresh mushrooms, and shredded cheese. It's a delicious pasta casserole, perfect for any family meal.
Feel free to vary the vegetables. One reader commented that she sauteed spinach and artichokes with the mushrooms with excellent results. Or substitute steamed green beans or a mixed vegetable combination for the peas.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar or Cheddar Jack combination, divided
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, steamed following package directions
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, soft
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions; drain in a colander and rinse under hot running water.
- Heat oven to 350 F (177 C/Gas 4). Grease a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- In a large saucepan or saute pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are browned. Remove the mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the same pan and heat over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Cook stirring, for 1 minute, and then gradually stir in the milk. Add pepper and salt; cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the mushrooms back to the sauce along with 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Stir in the parsley, chicken, peas, and drained macaroni. Stir to blend.
- Spoon the macaroni mixture into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the buttery bread crumbs over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned and the filling is bubbly around the edges.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|