|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
The addition of cottage cheese and sour cream turns the ordinary macaroni and cheese into a deliciously creamy casserole. To counter the mild cottage cheese, a sharp cheddar is also used in this great macaroni and cheese recipe.
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
Preheat oven to 375 F. Bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil and cook the pasta one minute less than the directions call for. Drain very well and add to a 9 x 12-inch baking dish
Stir in the cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, stir the bread crumbs and melted butter together. Sprinkle evenly over the top, and bake for 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbling.