|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||41%|
|Total Carbohydrate 63g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||24%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This cheesy, creamy macaroni and ham casserole is the perfect comfort food. It's also a great way to use up that leftover holiday ham. Add extra veggies to the macaroni mixture for extra color, texture, and flavor —peas, broccoli, carrots, corn, or mixed vegetables are all good choices. If you don't have pimientos, omit or use roasted red bell peppers instead, or add chopped red bell pepper to the green bell pepper for a burst of color. Sauté some mushrooms along with the onions and bell pepper. For a heartier one-dish meal, add extra ham and top it with more cheese, like Swiss or cheddar jack.
- 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup ham (diced)
- 8 ounces/2 cups macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pimiento (chopped)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the bell pepper and cook for about 2 more minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Remove the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
Add the diced ham to the skillet and continue cooking for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the elbow macaroni and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook following the package directions. Drain well.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked onion, bell pepper, and ham with the drained macaroni, pimiento, cream of mushroom soup, pepper, 1/2 cup of milk, and the parsley. Mix to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
Transfer the macaroni mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.
Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and continue baking just until melted.
- For a buttery breadcrumb topping, combine 1 cup of soft breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Stir the cheddar cheese into the macaroni mixture and sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top. Bake as directed, or until the topping has browned and the filling is bubbly. Or add a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs.