|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 42g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A tasty macaroni salad has long been a much-loved picnic and cookout dish. This macaroni salad is made with the addition of shredded cheese and ham, making it hearty and flavorful. Take it along to a potluck dinner or cookout. Cooked peas or freshly cooked asparagus may be added for a bright spring salad.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 cup diced or shredded (large shred) cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento
- 1/4 chopped green onion or red onion
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Fill a medium saucepan with water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a full boil over high heat and then add the macaroni. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, following the package directions. Pour the macaroni into a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain thoroughly.
In a large bowl, combine the macaroni with the diced cooked ham, shredded cheese, celery, bell pepper, pimento, and green onion. Toss to blend the ingredients.
In a small bowl, combine the relish, mayonnaise, and mustard. Add the dressing mixture to macaroni and vegetable mixture; stir gently to blend.
Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
Chill and serve.
- If you are taking the salad to a picnic or cookout, make sure it stays at a temperature of 40 F or lower before serving time. A good cooler packed with ice should be sufficient. If at all possible, nestle serving bowls on a bed of crushed ice. Serve the salad and make sure to refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours. If the temperature is 90 F or above, refrigerate leftovers within 1 hour.