Are they cookies or are they cakes? Madeleines or Madeleine Cookies are like little cakes but in a cookie shape. They are baked in their own special pan called a Madeleine Pan, with shell-shaped molds.
They are light, soft and buttery, which make them perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small orange (zest)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- Garnish: powdered sugar
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in zest. Set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar. With an electric mixer, beat on high for 3 minutes. The mixture will be thick.
- Add the melted butter and mix by hand. Fold in flour mixture using figure-8 motion. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat Madeleine Pan with either cooking spray or brushed with melted butter.
- Divide batter between 2 - 12 cup Madeleine pans. Bake Madeleines for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned around edges.
- Remove pans from the oven. Tap on the counter and dump out onto cooling racks.
- Sprinkle fluted tops with powdered sugar just before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|