Who would ever guess something so fun to eat only has two ingredients? This recipe is an easy homemade version of the iconic Magic Shell ice cream topping. The syrupy chocolate sauce— which is simply semisweet chocolate chips or a finely chopped chocolate bar melted with coconut oil—is poured over ice cream and hardens within seconds into a delicious, crackly shell that can be broken with a spoon. Like magic!
The recipe is practically foolproof. There is no need to temper the chocolate or stand over the stove stirring constantly. Once you make the sauce and find out how easy it is, you'll be making it every time you have ice cream. It’s an easy dessert for parties, both for kids and adults, and everyone loves it. It is guaranteed to be a hit any time of the year.
Besides pouring warm magic shell over scooped ice cream, it can also be used to dunk any cone or bar to create a crisp coating. This recipe also makes an excellent coating for cold fruit or bonbons as well.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Ice cream (for serving)
Gather the ingredients.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and the coconut oil.
Microwave, in 30-second intervals, stirring each time, until completely melted. Alternately, the ingredients can be set over a double-boiler and gently heated while stirring regularly until smooth.
Cool to room temperature and transfer to a pourable container before drizzling over ice cream.
Scoop ice cream into a serving bowl and pour magic shell on top. Allow to set before cracking. (This will take about 30 seconds. It is ready when the shell turns from glossy to matte.)
Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one year. If it solidifies, reheat briefly until liquid.
- Mint Chocolate Magic Shell: Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract to the chocolate and coconut oil after they have melted together. Pour over a bowl of mint chip ice cream and serve with a sprig of fresh mint.
- White Chocolate Magic Shell: This ratio also works with white chocolate chips. Follow the same directions and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract after melting the white chocolate chips and coconut oil. This takes great over a bowl of strawberry ice cream.
- Peanut Butter Magic Shell: To make peanut butter magic shell, simply melt 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter with 1/4 cup of coconut oil. It tastes great poured over a bowl of chocolate ice cream.
- Butterscotch Magic Shell: Follow the basic instructions but use butterscotch chips instead. This tastes great poured over a bowl of butter pecan ice cream.