Mah Gu Gai Pin means "fresh mushrooms cooked with sliced chicken."
- 2 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (7 to 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry white wine)
- Dash of freshly ground black (or white pepper)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms (any variety)
- 5 canned straw mushrooms
- 4 ounces canned bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons oil for stir-frying (or as needed)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry.
- Cut off any extra fat.
- Cut the breasts into thin strips approximately 2 1/2-inches long and 1/2-inch thick.
- Add the marinade ingredients to the chicken strips, add the cornstarch last and using your fingers to mix it in.
- Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the vegetables and sauce.
- Wipe the fresh mushrooms with a damp cloth and slice.
- Rinse the canned straw mushrooms, pat dry and slice.
- Rinse the bamboo shoots under warm running water, drain and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- To prepare the sauce, in a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup chicken broth with the dark soy sauce, 4 teaspoons oyster sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Set aside.
- Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the marinated chicken.
- Stir-fry until the chicken changes color and is nearly cooked through.
- Remove from the wok.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped fresh mushrooms.
- Stir-fry until the water begins to come out (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth.
- Continue stir-frying until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Push the fresh mushrooms up to the sides of the wok.
- Add 2 more tablespoons oil in the middle. Add the minced ginger and stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add the straw mushrooms.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the bamboo shoots.
- Move the vegetables up to the side of the wok.
- Give the sauce a quick re-stir and add to the middle of the wok.
- Stir quickly to thicken.
- When the sauce is thick and bubbling, add the chicken back into the pan.
- Mix everything together, cook for another 30 seconds and serve hot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|