Sandwiches have come a long way from PBJs and tuna melts (although those are wonderful, too). Artisan bread, fresh seafood, interesting lettuces, relishes, and chutneys offer the opportunity to create a delicious build-your-own-sandwich buffet party that's easy on the host and just plain fun.
Emphasis on Fresh and Good Quality
The most important tip is to make sure your recipe ingredients are impeccably fresh and top quality. It's easy to find great bread almost everywhere. Consider a walnut-raisin dark bread with a chewy crust, sweet raisins, and crunchy walnuts that is perfect when paired with a simple chicken salad sandwich.
Experiment with different slices of bread for your sandwiches. Try focaccia, toasted raisin bread, ciabatta, croissants, bagels, pita bread, onion rolls, flatbread, or toasted English muffins, or put out flavored tortillas and your guests can make their own wrap sandwiches.
Let your imagination soar when planning this sandwich buffet and recipes. Feel free to substitute for any of the ingredients, and remember that just about every topping, cheese, and meat will mix and match beautifully.
You might want to print out a list of ideas to spark your guest's imagination as they build their own sandwiches.
How to Set Up
Set up this buffet with the slices of bread in one area, the choice of meats, cheeses, and sandwich fillings next to that with lots of spreading utensils, and condiments last. Plates and lots of napkins are the only tools you need. Keep an eye on the time when you are setting out meats and cheeses for food safety reasons.
All you need to add is some fresh fruit, salads, and cake or homemade candies for dessert, and you've got a party. Consider these menu suggestions:
Sandwich Recipe Suggestions
- Pimiento Cheese Spread: This excellent pimiento cheese spread can be used all by itself, or with sliced chicken or ham.
- Smoked Salmon Croissant Sandwiches: These smoked salmon croissant sandwiches are so rich and indulgent. Be sure to brush the avocado slices with lemon juice so they stay fresh and green.
Fruit Salad Recipe Suggestions
- Pineapple Salad With Walnuts: The chunks of pineapple in this fresh pineapple salad with walnuts give it a refreshing, tangy change from the typical fresh apple chunks.
- 24-Hour Salad: This sweet and creamy 24-hour salad make-ahead fruit salad is perfect for a buffet.
Dessert Recipe Suggestions
- Chocolate Oatmeal Cake: This easy chocolate oatmeal cake is loaded with chocolate is perfect for a buffet because it's easy to slice and serve.
- Cinnamon Bundt Cake: This cinnamon bundt cake is lighter than most Bundt cakes, and the glaze tastes like the inside of a cinnamon roll.