Sweetened condensed milk is basically milk with the water removed and sugar added. It's commonly used in desserts.
Here are three easy ways to make sweetened condensed milk at home.
With Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the evaporated milk with the sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- If desired, whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Remove from the heat and let stand until cooled.
- Cover and refrigerate or use it in a recipe.
This is a longer process (at least 2 hours) because the milk has to reduce while cooking over very low heat.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and sugar.
- Bring the milk to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until reduced by about half.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Cover and refrigerate.
With Dry Milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Pour the boiling water into a blender.
- Add the nonfat dry milk.
- Add the sugar.
- Add the melted butter.
- Add a few drops of vanilla.
- Place the lid on the blender and cover it with a folded kitchen towel. Hold it down firmly and blend on high speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour the milk into a jar or container.
- Use in a recipe immediately or store it in a covered container in the refrigerator.