Here are three easy ways to make sweetened condensed milk at home.
With Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the evaporated milk with the sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- If desired, whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Remove from the heat and let stand until cooled.
- Cover and refrigerate or use it in a recipe.
This is a longer process (at least 2 hours) because the milk has to reduce while cooking over very low heat.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and sugar.
- Bring the milk to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until reduced by about half.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Cover and refrigerate.
With Dry Milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Pour the boiling water into a blender.
- Add the nonfat dry milk.
- Add the sugar.
- Add the melted butter.
- Add a few drops of vanilla.
- Place the lid on the blender and cover it with a folded kitchen towel. Hold it down firmly and blend on high speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour the milk into a jar or container.
- Use in a recipe immediately or store it in a covered container in the refrigerator.