You cannot have enough easy meals in your recipe box for those busy weeknights. You know a homecooked meal is best and you do have some leftovers in the fridge, so why not mix up a quick take-off on Beef Stroganoff?
This recipe is, essentially, an easy stroganoff that can be made with leftover roast beef, chicken, or pork. The dish is tasty, filling, cheap, and easy to make - everything a group of college students could want in a homecooked meal.
- 12 ounces leftover roast chicken (or pork or beef, cut into strips)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons
- unsalted butter (uses 1 tablespoon at a time)
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup wine (use red for beef and white for chicken or pork)
- 1/2 cup stock or broth (use beef for beef and chicken for chicken or pork)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4 ounces egg noodles
Beyond the pasta pot, this is a one-skillet meal, which makes after-dinner clean up very quick and easy. If you like, skip the pasta and serve the meat and sauce mixture over rice.
- Fill a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add egg noodles and cook per the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, add the mushrooms to a large, dry, non-stick skillet and sprinkle them with salt.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the mushrooms begin to brown and give up their liquid (about 6 minutes).
- Turn the mushrooms, sprinkle with thyme and add 1 tablespoon butter. Cook until browned (about 3 minutes).
- Scoop the mushrooms onto a plate and set aside.
- Using the same pan, reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining butter, onions, and tomato paste and cook until translucent, stirring frequently (about 5 minutes).
- Return the mushrooms to the skillet and add the wine.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the wine is reduced by half (5 minutes).
- Add the broth and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the meat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, taste, and adjust seasonings.
- Serve over noodles.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||114 g|
|Saturated Fat||40 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||44 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|