|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 81g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|Total Sugars 64g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Malibu Rum Cake recipe starts with a box and packaged pudding and is jazzed up with coconut rum. The recipe is courtesy of "Semi-Homemade Cooking" by Sandra Lee (Miramax Books; Hyperion), and this rum cake comes out so moist and delicious. The cake is baked and then topped with a decadent rum glaze. With the rum in both the cake and the glaze, the coconut flavor shines through.
Perfect for a summer gathering, whether it be a barbecue, picnic, potluck, or dinner with family and friends, this cake is sure to be a huge hit. For additional color and refreshing summery taste, garnish it with fresh strawberries or raspberries.
For the Cake:
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 cup rum, such as Malibu
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
4 large eggs
For the Rum Glaze:
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup water
4 ounces (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup rum, such as Malibu
Gather the ingredients.
Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 325 F.
Spray a 10-inch (12-cup) Bundt pan with cooking spray.
Using an electric mixer, beat cake mix, rum, vegetable oil, pudding mix, and eggs in a large bowl for 2 minutes. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes. Invert cake onto a platter, then carefully remove pan. Allow cake to cool completely.
Rum Glaze Preparation:
Gather the ingredients.
Meanwhile, stir sugar and water in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Add butter.
Simmer until mixture thickens and is syrupy, stirring often about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in the rum.
Cool glaze completely. Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled cake and serve. Enjoy!
- Rum cake gets even better the longer it sits before serving.
- Serve it with some vanilla ice cream...you can splurge and drizzle some rum over the ice cream for the adults, too, if you'd like.
- For an even more coconutty taste, sprinkle some flaked coconut on top of the glaze.
- Garnish with your favorite fresh berries, including sliced strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries. Or use all of them for a very colorful creation.
- If you want more of a rum taste, feel free to add a bit more rum.
How to Store
- To store rum cake, cover it tightly with plastic wrap. It will last for up to five days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it—double wrapped in freezer-safe bags—for up to six months.