This recipe for egg fried rice was submitted by a reader, Mama Choo Cha and is the perfect side dish to serve your family. Feel free to add extras such as chopped ham or cooked prawns.
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice (7 ounces/200 grams, dry weight before cooking)
- 4 ounces/100 grams frozen peas (defrosted)
- 4 spring onions (green onions), finely chopped
- 4 ounces/100 grams bean sprouts
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- Beat the egg and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. When the oil is shimmering and almost smoking add the rice and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes until completely heated through.
- Add the peas, spring onion, and bean sprouts. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes, turning the rice constantly.
- Season well with soy sauce and pepper, then push to one side of the pan. Pour the beaten egg on the other side of the pan and leave for about 10 seconds to set.
- Using a chopstick, stir around the egg to break it up and then toss around with the rice. Stir-fry for a further minute and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|