You will need 2 - 3 mangoes to make this recipe (the exact number will depend on the size of the mango). If you have too much mango, feel free to garnish the ice cream with leftover cubes. Similarly, since the tartness of individual mangoes can vary, you may want to adjust the amount of sugar.
Yields about 6 cups of mango ice cream. Scroll to the bottom for more mango recipes.
- 2 cups peeled and cubed mango
- 1/3 plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra to taste if needed
- 2 - 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I used 2 1/2)
- 1 3/4 cups half and half*
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 - 3 tablespoons of toasted coconut as garnish (optional)
- Handful of mint sprigs as garnish (optional)
- n a large bowl, combine the cubed mango with 1/3 cup of sugar. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, in a saucepan over medium-low to low heat, simmer the mango pieces with the sugar syrup (this is the syrupy mixture that forms in the bowl when you combine the mango pieces with sugar and refrigerate overnight). Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove and cool.
- Puree the mango and sugar syrup mixture in a blender or food processor. Add the lime juice and process again. Cover and chill for an hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the half and half and coconut milk with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the pureed mango, not beating but stirring gently to mix in. If you like, do a taste test and add more sugar if desired (I added 1 tablespoon).
- Chill in the freezer, stirring occasionally until hardened, or prepare in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. If after preparing in the ice cream maker, you find you want a firmer consistency, pack the mango ice cream in an airtight plastic container and place in the freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with the toasted coconut and mint sprigs if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|