T These bacon cornbread muffins are lightly sweetened with maple syrup and a little sugar. For more intense maple flavor, use grade B maple syrup and brush with the optional glaze a few minutes before the muffins come out of the oven.
- 5 strips bacon (about 5 ounces, cooked, crumbled, bacon drippings reserved)
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal (preferably stone ground)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- For the Optional Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Brush the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with bacon drippings or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbled bacon with the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon (or more) of sugar, and the salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, eggs, 4 tablespoons of melted butter, 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon drippings, and 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Whisk to blend throughly.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry mixture; stir just until combined. Put about 1/4 cup of the batter in each prepared muffin cup.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the muffins are nicely browned. If desired, brush each muffin with maple glaze (instructions below) a few minutes before they come out of the oven.
- Maple Glaze: In a small saucepan, bring 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to a boil. Brush on the muffin tops a few minutes before they are done baking.
*For a sweeter muffin, add an extra 2 tablespoons of sugar.
Makes 10 to 12 muffins.
Note: If you can find Grade B maple syrup, it is super flavorful and a great choice for baking. You can order it online if you can't find it locally.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|