A delicious, tangy maple and brown sugar sauce glazes these easy, bite-sized cocktail franks. The mini hot dogs are baked with a bacon wrapping and then they're combined with the delicious sauce. Simmer or heat them in the slow cooker and serve them hot.
These make a delicious appetizer for a game day gathering or holiday party. They are easy to take along to a potluck and you are likely to see them all disappear quickly. Be sure to provide a dish or bag for your guests to dispose of the toothpicks.
This recipe is gluten-free as long as you are using cocktail franks that contain no gluten fillers. Be sure to check the package if this is a concern.
- 1 package (14 ounces) mini cocktail franks (or cut standard size hot dogs into thirds or fourths)
- 1 pound bacon (thick-sliced, about 15 strips of bacon)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (heaping)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon chili paste (sambal) or sriracha (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 400 F / 200 C / Gas 6. Line a rimmed baking sheet or jelly roll pan with foil.
Take the mini hot dogs or sausages out of the package and spread them out on a work surface. Blot them with paper towels. If you're using standard size hot dogs, slice each one lengthwise into three or four pieces.
Remove several strips of bacon from the package and cut them into thirds with scissors or a knife.
Wrap each little hot dog in a piece of bacon and secure it with toothpicks. Arrange the wrapped hot dogs in the prepared baking pan.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until browned.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, maple syrup, mustard, chili paste (if using), and the ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
Remove the bacon-wrapped hot dogs from the oven and transfer them to a slow cooker. Pour the brown sugar sauce over the hot dogs. Cover and cook on low for about 1 hour or on high for about 30 to 45 minutes.
Serve the bacon-wrapped hot dogs hot from the slow cooker. Have tongs available for your guests to grab them out of the pot.
- Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator. You can reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop to enjoy. They can be fun to have for breakfast the next day.
- Rather than using a slow cooker, you may heat the hot dogs with the sauce in a saucepan (low heat) on the stovetop for about 15 minutes. You just want the sauce hot and bubbly and the dogs nicely glazed.
- You can use any kind of sausage so long as it has been cooked before wrapping it with the bacon. Adjust the spice level if you are using hot links or very spicy kinds of sausage.
- For a vegetarian option, use veggie dogs wrapped in veggie bacon.