Save big bucks and make your favorite coffee drinks at home with this maple pecan latte. Start by mixing up a batch of homemade maple pecan syrup, then keep it in the fridge to satisfy your sweet coffee cravings.
An important base for the syrup is pecan butter. Don't worry if you have trouble finding it at the store—you can buy online or make it at home. Just like making homemade peanut or almond butter, all you have to do is add some cooled toasted pecans to a food processor and process until it turns into a smooth, creamy butter. Make a little extra to spread on toast and you might find yourself saying "peanut butter, who?"
Once you’ve got the pecan butter, the syrup comes together in a few minutes on the stovetop. The syrup contains cream, but if you’re dairy-free, you can still enjoy this homemade maple pecan latte. Just swap in coconut cream for a dairy-free spin use your favorite alt milk when making the latte and be sure to buy a dairy-free whipped cream to finish it off.
We struck a sweet balance between syrup and coffee in the recipe below. It’s your coffee drink, though, so feel free to add more or less maple pecan syrup to adjust it to your own liking.
- For the Maple Pecan Syrup:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pecan butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Latte:
- 1 shot espresso
- 2 tablespoons maple pecan syrup
- 1/2 cup steamed milk
- Garnish: Whipped cream (store-bought or homemade)
- Garnish: Chopped toasted pecans
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this drink is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and cooking.
Make the Maple Pecan Syrup
Gather the ingredients.
In a small pot, combine the maple syrup, pecan butter, brown sugar, and butter over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes.
Remove syrup from heat and whisk in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Set aside to cool completely. You'll have enough syrup to make 8 lattes.
Make the Latte
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the espresso and 2 tablespoons of the maple pecan syrup in a mug; whisk until well blended.
Pour in steamed milk, then top with whipped cream and toasted pecans.
- For an extra special touch, use candied pecans to garnish your latte (we love this sweet & spicy candied pecan recipe).
- Make it an Au Lait: Use equal parts coffee and steamed milk, with as much maple pecan syrup as you like for a maple pecan cafe au lait.
- Make it a Mocha: Stir 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup into your maple pecan latte for a chocolatey twist.
- Booze it Up: A splash of bourbon or scotch turns this maple pecan latte into a fun after dinner drink treat.